Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Tyler's Graduation

Friday night, we went to my nephew’s high school graduation.
As I thought about my post, the words from the play Fiddler on the Roof came to mind.

Is this the little girl I carried?
Is this the little boy at play?

I don’t remember growing older
When did they?

When did she get to be a beauty?
When did he grow so tall?

Wasn’t it yesterday
When they were small?
Sunrise, sunset

Sunrise, sunset

Swiftly flow the days,

Seedlings turn overnight to sunflowers

Blossoming even as we gaze.


If you haven’t noticed I connect almost everything with a song.


Tyler’s graduation lasted barely an hour where as mine took an eternity.
I had packed snacks to entertain the kids for hours, but before I could pull out the good stuff the grads were tossing their caps into the air. Nowadays the awards and scholarship recipients are honored earlier and boy what a difference it makes. Apparently Ty-man is a tidbit smarter than his old auntie he graduated with BETA honors and a few scholarships in his pocket. Tyler has known for several years that he plans to pursue a career in entomology. Twenty years out and I still am not certain what I want to do. This summer he will have the opportunity to work at the university and get some real hands on experience with BUGS.



On Memorial Day, his mom hosted a birthday and graduation party. It was quiet interesting to see the motley cruel that he has made friends with. Starting on the left is Will the Officer and Gentleman, Anthony the Punk Rocker, Louis the Bilingual Genius, and none other than the All knowing Mad scientist Tyler.
They were all exceptionally polite and extremely smart. Steven and I really got a kick out of them. We had an afternoon of great food, volleyball (even in the pouring down rain and lighting)

,














the ninja game, and my favorite---swimming pool kick ball.
















Everyone in attendance had a great time.












I can’t believe that a year form now it will be me, the mom of a graduate.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness that makes me tear up thinking about it!!! I will be experiencing this Sat night..ha Tyler is such a handsome young man and has manners that most parents would kill for. They did an awesome job raising him. I know you have got to be one proud aunt!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really cannot believe this. I just dont believe they can possibly be old enough for the real world. Time flies....
    I didnt cry until the last 2 pictures... love them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like great times are ahead for him!

    **OH and to answer your question about the cattle show - no -we do the Ft Worth Show in Feb (??I think) and a few other open shows in the fall and spring around the DFW area. I know what you mean about a life in mud boots! For Christmas this year Bailey got some COACH mud boots... she was just too cool! LOL **

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...I missed a really good time with the family, huh? I did have a wonderful time visiting with Aunt Betty and her family. I was in the room when Tyler was born...this is amazing to see him today - the wonderful young man he has developed into. I'm so very proud of him! Katie...is beautiful and yes, to think she is next...unreal. Kimberly, I remember when YOU were a baby...I love you little cuz!

    ReplyDelete
  5. they do grow up fast. And I love that song!! Brings back some memories. Congrats to your nephew.

    ReplyDelete

I'm not here... but after the post if you will leave a message then I will read it and be oh so grateful someone cared enough to leave a note.